Make it Colorful
There are two ways to create Multicolor prints at Voodoo Manufacturing; Color Separation and Hot-Swaps. Below we will give you a little run down on how they work, how they are different, and how they are available.
Is a method that consists of taking a model and breaking it into parts based on their color. Each color is then printed separately. After printing, the model gets assembled and you have a multicolor print!
These are some examples:
A few things to keep in mind when creating a color-separated object are:
- Every different color will be a separate print
- All parts must fit properly (recommended tolerance is 0.5 mm on each side of each part)
- The smaller the details in a different color, the more difficult it will be for parts to fit and glue seamlessly
- Some parts may be too small to print, so make sure all models are at least 6mm
- Color separation is only available in PLA
Color separation is available to everyone. You just need to separate your model into each color and upload your individual files to our site. Once there, you can select the colors for each part.
It is strongly recommended to use standard settings and to do some testing on your tolerances before placing a large order.
If you do not have a file that is already divided into parts by color, our design team can become available to do this for you, if you are planning to place a Customized Order (starting at $1,200 + design fees).
This method is currently only available for Volume Orders (starting at $1,200).
Hot-swap allows you to have different colors in one single model in the vertical axis. The method consists of pausing the print at a specific height, changing the filament color, and continuing to print. This is often used for text, nametags, keychains, rings, etc.
here are some examples:
A few things to keep in mind when creating a hot-swapped object are:
- Changes happen in the vertical axis
- Each color covers the entire object area up to a specific height
- The first color swap will start at a minimum height of 1.5 mm.
- After the first swap, swaps can only happen at a full mm, there are no fractions
- Hot-swap is only available in PLA
- Hot-swap is only available for Volume Orders
Have any questions? Please contact us! We will be happy to help you add some color to your 3D prints!